Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Location:  Ferndale, California
Shop:        Foggy Bottoms
Owner:     Jacque

Ferndale is our last stop in Humboldt county. There's around 1500 folks who call this place home. It's probably the cutest town I've been to so far. The bridge leading in to town over the Eel River is over 100 years old. One of the only bridges in the area to withstand some devestating floods and earthquakes. It is narrow, I'd hate to see a couple of 18-wheelers meet in the middle. Heck, I'd hate to meet an 18-wheeler in the middle. There's a reason my husband does most of the driving, he takes everything nice and slow, and I sit back and relax and enjoy the views. It works out.

Back to the cutest town I've been in. The first thing I thought was 'Wow, there's a lot of painting going on in this town'. Of course, my husband being a retired house painter, that's what I think about. But there is. A lot of the houses, and most of the buildings on their main street have a Victorian look to them.
Jacque has had Foggy Bottoms for over 20 years. She's open six days a week, closed on Tuesdays. This is a pretty decent sized shop, and Jacque is the only employee. She needs to have one day each week to maintain her sanity. She chose Tuesday because that's the one day during the week she had things going on, including her knitting group.

Foggy Bottoms is the only store I've visited (so far) with a pellet burning stove as the only heat source. Plus, they have a wide range of yarns & needles and a back room filled with clearance or sale items.
Not seen in other stores, is the Yarn Spinner, made by Jacque's son. You wind the yarn on yourself by spinning the disc, then it unravels as you use it, no tugging. I'm not sure if he's marketing this anywhere else, but it is nicely made.
Foggy Bottoms was our last stop in Humboldt County. I will miss this place. I have a couple of good friends here, the redwood forest, the Ave of the Giants, the Pacific Ocean, and another thing, but I can't seem to remember.

Next stop:  Medocino, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment